The nursing profession is one of the most important and in-demand professions in the healthcare industry. Nurses play a vital role in the provision of patient care and are often the first point of contact for patients and their families.
Nurses are required to have a specific set of skills and knowledge in order to be able to provide safe and effective care. You can enroll in nurse practitioner programs in Texas to help advance your nursing career. Online courses give you an opportunity to extend your knowledge in advanced clinical practice, health policies, administration and more. As the healthcare industry evolves, so too do the expectations of nurses. In order to keep up with the latest developments, you can take steps to further your education.
An online nursing degree offers many advantages and can be a great option for those who are already working full-time. However, it is important to first make sure that an online nursing degree is the right fit for you.
Times are changing
The healthcare industry is constantly changing and evolving. As a result, so are the standards, expectations and rules that nurses must adhere to. Because of this, it is important to keep up with the latest developments in the healthcare field through education. In addition to your clinical training, you can continue to build upon your knowledge through an online nursing degree program.
In the past, qualifying as a nurse and getting a job just meant completing an RN program. That could be how you started; however, an RN will likely not to be sufficient for long. In fact, the National Academy of Medicine has been pushing for nurses to achieve higher levels of education.
Why the push?
With each passing day, medicine is becoming more specialized and complicated. A nurse’s education must go beyond RN training to be better positioned to keep up with current medical technology, including electronic records. This will help nurses treat patients more efficiently, effectively and in culturally appropriate ways. Research continues to prove that the range of healthcare issues, including better surgical outcomes, fewer patient falls, effective use of hospital resources and more successful rehabilitation outcomes, requires a higher level of clinical and professional expertise that can be achieved through advanced nursing education.
Why studying an online nursing degree is important
Today, there are more options than ever before for those looking to pursue a nursing degree. One of the most popular and convenient options is an online degree. An online nursing degree can provide many advantages over a traditional nursing degree, such as increased flexibility, lower costs and the ability to complete the program at your own pace.
Whether you’re looking to change jobs or move up in your current organization, an online nursing degree can help you reach your goals. It can also help you take your career to the next level to become a registered nurse, a nurse practitioner or a certified nurse midwife.
Here are a few more benefits to pursuing an online nursing degree:
1. Increased skills
Earning an online nursing degree gives you a higher level of clinical and professional expertise. The Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates a 40% increase in demand for nurse practitioners within the next 10 years. Having an advanced degree positions you well to climb the career ladder, providing you with greater job opportunities and compensation.
2. Recognition by employers
As the healthcare field continues to grow, so too will the demand for nurses with advanced degrees and higher levels of expertise. Graduating with an online nursing degree can increase your chances of being promoted within your current organization, as well as help you land a new job in a different location.
3. Better opportunities for advancement
As the healthcare industry continues to evolve, so do the educational requirements of nurses. Online nursing degrees are more accepted among employers than ever before. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, about half of all employers are offering tuition reimbursement for their employees who pursue an online nursing degree, indicating its growing popularity as a way to advance your career.
Why online nursing degrees are popular
There are many reasons why online nursing degrees are popular today. In fact, online programs for various healthcare fields have expanded at a fast rate and have become a lucrative and growing market. Here are a few reasons for their popularity:
- Flexibility – The flexibility of an online nursing degree is one of its most attractive features. Nowadays, people are busier than ever, and many are unable to move from their current location for extended periods just for school. While online degrees still require a time commitment, the flexibility of this type of program allows you to complete courses on your own time and at your own pace.
- Lower cost – It should come as no surprise that online nursing degrees are often less expensive than going to school in person. This is because online programs do not require various fees (room and board, textbooks, etc.) that traditional schools may expect you to pay. Since most online programs have an accelerated time frame, they also require fewer courses, which further lowers the cost.
- Accessibility – Online nursing degrees are generally easier to access and much more convenient than in-person options. There is no need to drive or travel to school, which can save you time, money and energy. Instead of commuting and taking classes at a set time, you can choose when to review your lessons. Technology also makes it possible for you to connect with other students from around the world.
- Career opportunities – There are many exciting career opportunities available for nurses who have attained an online nursing degree. With advanced education, you can become a certified nurse midwife, a family nurse practitioner or even a clinical specialist. Regardless of which type of program you choose, all have similar requirements and lead to the same basic career paths as RNs.
With the growing popularity of online nursing degrees, more and more healthcare professionals are gaining access to this field. Earning an online nursing degree is a convenient way to continue your education without having to sacrifice a lot of time or money. The flexibility and convenience of an online nursing degree can help you take your career to the next level, giving you the skills and training needed to treat patients in all aspects of their healthcare needs.